Sunday, July 29, 2012

How the Universe connects us

Coincidence or Kismet?

On Friday, Keith had an appointment for a CAT scan down at TGH.  It was at 9:15 in the morning so we left Oakville at 7:30, me figuring traffic, rush hour would be nasty.  Silly me, had forgotten about summer traffic, not to mention Friday morning summer traffic into Toronto is virtually non-existent.  We flew, and were at the reception desk for the CAT scan at 8:15.  

TGH being the efficient machine that it is (really, it's amazingly on schedule) took him right away, and after his CAT scan we had to stop in at the lab for some containers.  We navigated the halls (with wheelchair) and found the lab.  We are still so new to this.  

Waiting in line behind another woman pushing a young man in a wheelchair, I overheard them ask his name, and heard the reply "Carew".  My heart skipped...this was actually Rob Carew in front of me.  Background is, this is a gentleman from Oakville who was recently profiled in the local paper here as a fit 39 year old father of two whose father had passed away from Pulmonary Fibrosis, and had contracted the same disease with a rapid progression.  

I had read this article 6 weeks ago, and had attempted to contact Rob through Facebook, but hadn't heard anything.  Just this past week, I understood why; someone in my social network had informed me that he had recently had his double lung transplant.  And now he was sitting right beside me.  

I did what I had to do, I tapped his wife on her shoulder and apologized for intruding, but had overheard the name, and was this Rob Carew?  I introduced myself, and told them briefly who I was, and Keith and Rob shook hands.  It was Rob's one month anniversary from his new lungs.  He had been home a week, and was in for his first follow up.  I was literally shaking as I heard this, because now, more than ever, things are feeling real.  Like they will happen.  

I have traded emails with Rob's wife, and hope to be able to share with her some of what is going on, with her, and with me.  I have explained that in a way, Rob's story, although different from Keith's, is so similar because of their ages, family life, and location.  I cling to this and other connections that I have made as a way to talk about what has happened, is happening, and will happen with people other than doctors and technicians.   What am I hoping for from this?  Keith hasn't asked for it, but as his wife and caregiver, I feel a strong need to understand the emotional aspect of everything that is happening.  

Many have messaged me who have connections, personal and otherwise to someone who has experienced this procedure.  I have tried to get in touch with all of them, but time is a thief and I haven't been able to.  If I have not been in touch with you, please don't take that as me not wanting to, but understand that there are just not enough hours in the day and I will keep trying to get to as many of you as I can.  And, sometimes when I have time, I am just overwhelmed by the need to do nothing.  Does anyone ever feel that way?

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. You just do what YOU need to do. Don't worry about the rest of us, we will be fine. Keep going Sarah and know you have the thoughts, prayers and all the positive energy the rest of us can sent!

    Jenn Fitz

    ReplyDelete